Friday 31 August 2012

Igiebor Targets Trophies With Betis

Nigeria midfielder Nosa Igiebor has set his sights on winning silverware in Spain following his move to Real Betis.
The 21-year-old signed from Hapoel Tel Aviv on a four-year deal last week and is eager to settle in at his new club.

"I'm very happy to be at Real Betis and one of the most competitive leagues in the world," he told BBC Sport.

"Playing in Spain was a big dream and now that I am in Spain I need to fulfil that desire to be a big success here.
"It will be tough to play regularly but I'm a strong competitor mentally and physically who wants to play and help my team-mates."

The former Olympic international who has played twice for the Super Eagles is following in the footsteps of illustrious compatriot Finidi George.

George, a Champions League winner with Dutch side Ajax, was with Seville-based Betis for four seasons and is recognised as the most successful African at the club.

The winger made 130 appearances for Béticos and scored 38 goals between 1996 and 2000.

"It's good to be reminded of a successful compatriot but I didn't come here to relax but to improve," said Igiebor.
"I hope to contribute like [Finidi George] did and go a step further by winning trophies here hopefully."

Igiebor who has been named in the Nigeria squad to face Liberia in next month's Africa Cup of Nations qualifier is hoping he can be a favourite with the passionate fans.

"I've been told about the club's passionate fans, the love they feel for this team," he said. "It's very important to feel the support during the good times and tough times.

"I've heard about the rivalries and derbies, coming from Israel I have experienced that.

"It's going to be a long road but I hope to settle down quickly and give my best to the team."

After playing in the Nigerian Premier League with Sharks and Warri Wolves, Igiebor's European career got off at Lillestrom of Norway.

He switched to Hapoel Tel Aviv of Israel last summer where he scored seven goals in 41 appearances.

No comments:

Post a Comment