Wednesday 5 December 2012

BABAYARO: KESHI NEEDS TAIWO FOR AFCON


Retired Super Eagles left back, Celestine Babayaro who featured in a campaign against AIDS football match played at the weekend, says the senior national team needs the experience of Taye Taiwo to have a solid defence at the 2013 AFCON. He spoke with JOHNNY EDWARD...

Having retired from football, how would you describe life outside the game?

Well, life’s been good and I’m happy to have played for about 15 years both for club and country. And with the achievements I’ve recorded so far, I am grateful to God. I’m now a football agent and would love to be involved in Nigerian football very soon. I'm available and ready to serve if my country needs me but I would only love to do that if I am asked.

How does it feel playing to create awareness for the dreaded HIV/AIDS and the fight against killer diseases like Tuberculosis and Malaria in a charity game like this?

Firstly, I would like to thank the Founder & CEO of Friends Africa, Dr. Akudo Anyanwu Ikemba, for organizing this event with a view to eradicating discrimination against people living with AIDS. I’m so happy to be part of the event and I will always support such initiative.

And how did you feel meeting with many of your colleagues whom you had played with in the past?

Obviously, I’m happy playing with them again despite the fact that I haven’t seen most of them for quite some time. It was a good feeling and I don’t intend to keep distance because we all have a lot to offer ourselves both as individuals and in football fraternity.

You featured for the Super Eagles in three Africa Nations Cup; do you think the country has a team in place to compete for honours in next year’s edition in South Africa?

We have a team with a bunch of players who could win the Nations Cup for Nigeria despite the emergence of Zambia and the wealth of experience in the Ivorian team. We have the pedigree and on top of that, we also have a coach who could win the title for us. I’m a Nigerian and I will be backing our team all the way to win the trophy irrespective of the teams we are going to face.

So, that means you’re tipping Nigeria to qualify from our group…

Sure; we will qualify from our group.

How would you describe the tenure of Coach Stephen Keshi since he took over?

I have been very impressed with his impact because a lot of competitions have returned since he took over which would make the team stronger and in no distant time, Eagles will be world beaters again. The team has been well rejuvenated with quality additions; they’re playing good football now and winning games.  The defence department has been a source of worry for many soccer fans with the full backs particularly the most problematic. As a versatile left back during your playing days, would you say you are satisfied with the level of performance of the likes of Taye Taiwo, Elderson Echeijile and Juwon Oshaniwa in the national team?

Taye Taiwo has really impressed me so far because he has a pack of bullets in his boots and he is also good at making those runs down the flanks; but he can’t do it all alone. A tree doesn’t make a forest but I think his presence in the team will strengthen the Eagles defence more. Elderson is a different type of player who also has great qualities and his inclusion will boost our chances of lifting the trophy in South Africa because we need all of them in the team. We have a good team and I’ve been impressed with the contribution of Victor Moses. He's a quality inclusion to the team. He’s very quick, his movement is incredible and he's going to be a great player for the Eagles at the AFCON.

No comments:

Post a Comment