Wednesday 7 November 2012

OBOABONA: I’M READY TO FIGHT FOR AFCON SHIRT



Eagles defender, Godfrey Oboabona, says he is ready to do his best to make the Super Eagles team to the 2013 African Cup of Nations in South Africa. He spoke with BAMIDELE BOLUWAJI

You are one of the 24 home-based players invited by coach Stephen Keshi for the November 14 international friendly game against Venezuela in USA, how do you feel being part of the team?

It is great to be back and I am happy to be recognised by the coach. Playing for Nigeria is something I always love and ready to do, so I feel happy to be invited for the match.

How important do you see the international friendly game to the Super Eagles’ quest of winning the 2013 AFCON in South Africa?

It is going to be a very important match because we need it to prepare for the tournament and it will be a good opportunity for the coaches to know the fitness level of the players and also try out new ones.

Looking at your performance against the Lone Star of Liberia in the 6-1 victory that saw Nigeria qualifying for the Nations Cup, do you think you can make the final list for the CAF tournament?

Well, I think it is only the coach that can decide who will make the team to South Africa but personally, I would love to be there and I know that I need to work harder for that to happen. The Big Boss has told us that he needs only the best for the Nations Cup because he is going there for a purpose and we need to do our best.

But do you see the Super Eagles winning the 2013 Nations Cup in South Africa?

Yes, I can see that because we have the players that can do it. We just need to work hard because other teams are also coming with the hope of winning the Nations Cup; but for us to win it which is quite possible, we really need to work hard and make sure that we win every game we are going to play. With the way Coach Stephen Keshi is handling the team, I am sure that we will go far in South Africa.

How would you react to the Super Eagles group that has Burkina Faso, Ethiopia and Zambia?

It is a tough group and all the teams mentioned will definitely be tough. Personally, I don’t underrate any team but when it comes to Nigeria, you will see teams, even small country raising their games. So we need to prepare very well and give our best in every game we play in South Africa.

Which of those teams do you think can give the Eagles some problems in South Africa?

All the teams can be very dangerous and that is why I said I won’t underrate any of them. I always believe that players’ determination and preparedness will determine the outcome of the match, but If we don’t prepare very well, it could even be difficult to beat a secondary school team.

Now that the battle for the shirts for 2013 African Nations Cup is getting to the peak, do you think you can make the list, mostly when many foreign-based players are already showing interest in the competition?

I cannot say much about that for now because we still have some months before the Nations Cup will kick off. And one thing I know is that the form of every player will determine the decision the coach will make regarding the Nations Cup. So, I will do my best in camp, while I pray to God to favour me.

What does the Nations Cup mean to your career as a home-based player?

It will definitely help my career. I believe in myself and in what I can do. Playing at the Nations Cup can also help me to get a better contract and I look forward to that.

Finally, do you have any fear ahead of the Championship in South Africa?

No, I have been praying to God to favour us as a nation and I will continue to pray because winning the trophy will help many of us

No comments:

Post a Comment