Saturday 20 October 2012

Efe Ambrose: The new Nigerian ambassador in Scotland

The new Celtic defender’s performance is earning plaudits with locals as a Nigerian student learns first hand in an encounter with a shuttle bus driver


New Celtic defender Efe Ambrose is getting very popular in Scotland. After a yeoman’s job in the 3-2 victory for his club against their Russian opponents Spartak Moscow in the Uefa Champions League, the Scots might just have another Nigerian player to celebrate alongside former Rangers forward Sone Aluko. 

This did not occur to me until my current method of beating the Aberdeen cold was halted by a curious bus driver working for a popular bus service.
After seeing Ambrose in action alongside his Kenyan counterpart Victor Wanyama during the recent Champion’s League match that banished the side’s group stage hoodoo - 17 defeats in 18 fruitless attempts to secure a win in the European top flight - the driver was moved to question my Afro-centric hairdo and green Nike top that rekindled memories of the memorable win at the Luzhniki Stadium which had Celtic manager Neil Lennon and their fans over the moon.
“Did you watch yesterday’s match,” the bus driver enquired.
Having spent the greater part of my first evening in Scotland perching in various locations, it sounded strange until he dropped my countryman’s name with rare proficiency.   
“Efe Ambrose played very well last night against the Russians,” added the fellow with obvious pride.
 It was then it all came back to me. Not one to watch the Scottish League or its Belgian and Dutch counterparts that litter my Startimes bouquet back in Naija, I did recall a prelude to the match on a local newspaper  I picked at Heathrow Airport en route to Aberdeen.  
“Oh yeah,” I replied. I didn’t get to see it but I saw the score line on TV.”
“Why didn’t you watch it,” he queried with another inquisitive look in his face.
Unable to start arguing on the level of my patriotism or a bland league with sparks of occasional genius, I replied that I would make sure I got a Celtic jersey at the nearest Sportsdirect shop to mark the occasion.
To even make things better, I would put “Ambrose” behind it to celebrate my country man’s exploits. This reply was based on my phobia for not counting my eggs before they hatch. 
Also, with back to back games against Barcelona FC, regarded as the best club in the world at the moment, it might be too soon to pop the champagne given the array of stars the Spanish side pack. But weirder things have happened in the round leather game and the eventual winner when Celtic and Barcelona clash should be football.
Still, I wish Ambrose all the best as he continues to lay down great performances for the Bhoys and fly the Nigerian flag high here.
- Ajao, a journalist, has just moved to Scotland in pursuit of a masters degree in Communication at the University of Aberdeen.

No comments:

Post a Comment